Monday, October 3, 2011

Getting Sick at College

This blog is one that's extremely important and stressful for me.  I can't get sick this semester! There's no time. I have 15 hours of class, 25+ hours of homework, and 20 hours of work.  I hadn't really thought about it before but I'm realizing now how bad it could be.  I have the worst immune system in the history of otherwise healthy people, and when I get sick, I get SICK.  Every year I always (knock on wood) get the flu twice, regardless of whether or not I get the shot, I always get strep, I have colds like it's my job, and I throw up in the morning like I'm forever a few months pregnant.  Being sick all the time has already been an issue for me throughout high-school.  The administration wasn't always thrilled to accept my doctor notes.  I've missed one class of math so far because I felt really awful.  I didn't know if it was the beginning of a cold or allergies so I took Cold-Eze & allergy medication and whatever it was went away.  Phew.  If I do feel sick again I'll definitely go straight to the health center to get it taken care of before it gets bad.  I've been eating a lot of yogurt, as I was told it helps boost the immune system with the bacterias it has.  I've also been trying to drink tons and tons of water.  I've never normally drunken the recommended amount of glasses a day.  I'm trying to avoid the dining hall drinks because I never drink soda at home but it's so much easier to drink it here and I don't want all the extra sugar.  I'm trying to wash my hands constantly, avoiding touching things like doorknobs and desks and then eating or drinking, getting as much sleep as possible, exercising and eating as well as I can in college, hopefully I stay healthy and avoid my usual winter tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment