Sunday, October 2, 2011
Does Facebook Affect Your Education?
I asked a bunch of my friends about if they thought Facebook and Twitter affected their educations or attention during class. I asked ten people and I definitely got the response I expected. I asked 8 girls and 2 boys. As expected the boys both said something along the lines of "um..what..no?" like it was a crazy question to ask. The girls all said about the same thing too. "Hahah definitely" was one of the text responses I got. One of my friends who is studying at Roger Williams said, "Um, F--- yea." I think it's more distracting to females than males because in my opinion, we don't really care about the same things. Girls like to gossip and look at pictures of other girls and judge the length of the dress they wore to the club last night and look at whose relationship status' have changed to "It's Complicated". To me, guys don't really seem to worry about those things nearly as much as we do and therefore, Facebook is probably a lot less interesting. I think the only, teeny way Facebook may help education is that its a good way to connect with people in your classes and consult them about homework, getting notes on classes you missed, what they got out of a lecture, etc. To me, this problem isn't one with an easy solution. It's hard not to venture over to Facebook when you have your laptop infront of you during a painfully boring lecture on arguments. If anything, the issue will only get worse. One of my friends said "Yes because whenever I get bored it's just an instinct." Facebook is like another limb for a lot of girls. It's on your phone and you have the I-pod app and you're subscribed to get text messages when someone Facebook has decided is a "close friend" updates a status or post a new picture. We're only getting more and more wrapped up in this virtual world as it becomes easier and easier to follow every movement of our friends, the girl who gave you a dirty look in math, and the boy who stopped texting you back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment