Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gay Marriage Rights



I'm writing a paper on gay marriage in another class, and I think it's a very interesting topic that others may also be interested in.  I have really strong views on gay marriage and I'd hope that many others would share the same views.  To me, I think it's ridiculous to tell people that they are not allowed to have the same marriage rights because they love someone different than they're "supposed" to.  I think that it in no way affects the sanctity of marriage itself, when the divorce rate of straight couples is astronomical, and Kim Kardashian is allowed to spend millions on a wedding that lasts 70 days, but two people who are honestly in love will make straight marriages less meaningful? I don't think that makes any sense at all.  I believe that a person is equal to any other person, no matter what they believe, who they love, and what the color of their skin is.  I don't think being homosexual makes a person less equal than the rest of the population, where they don't deserve the same rights.  In my opinion, a lot of the people who are opposed to gay marriage think that way because of their religious views.  I agree completely with their right to think this way, but church and state should  be seperated and their should not be any laws based on religious beliefs.  Laws should protect people and their properties, not constrict marriages and other rights.  Unfortunetly, I don't think this is an issue that will be resolved in any kind of timely manner, and even though some states are allowing it, I think it will be years and years before homosexuals are actually seen as equals in our society. 

I found a few resources if people wanted any more information :

http://arguingequality.org/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-gay-marriage-20111101,0,6750292.story

No comments:

Post a Comment