Thursday, November 3, 2011

Second Interest



One thing that interests me and is connected to SCSU is Nursing.  I chose Southern Connecticut State University because it has such a good reputation for having a really great nursing program.  At Southern, the nursing falls under the School of Health and Human Services.  They have a four-year program, and other programs beyond that to get different degrees like a masters or a doctorate.  Nursing is my career of choice because of how versatile and exciting it is. The nursing demand is huge, and it will always be needed.  Nurses help treat and educate patients and provide advice and emotional support.  Once you become a registered nurse, you can work in many different settings.  You can work in a hospital, a clinic, a nursing home, or in many other places.  The nursing earnings outlook for New Haven CT is about $69,000. I think that I would like to work in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Neonatal refers to the first 28 days of life, and a Neonatal Nurse works in a nursery, either Level I for healthy babies, Level II for premature babies, or Level III for babies who are too sick to be in the other two nurseries.  I think working with babies and helping them become healthy enough to move home with their parents would be an incredibly rewarding, yet difficult job.  I have a friend who is currently a Neonatal nurse and she has told me that where she works, you basically get assigned one baby and that's the baby you take care of until it's healthy.  You get very attached to the baby, and sometimes they don't always get healthy.  It's a job where you have to be able to separate yourself and deal with loss often and in a healthy way.





http://www.nursesource.org/neonatal.html

No comments:

Post a Comment