Monday, September 12, 2011

Response to readings

After reading "The Hunt for a Good Teacher" by Stanely Fish and "Don't Alienate Your Professor" by Carol Berkin, I had a lot to think about in regards to my experience at college.

I thought more about how you're going to get out of college what you put into it.  If you work hard and dedicate yourself to studies and learning and bettering yourself, you will come out better, smarter, and a harder worker.  If you go through the motions and pass classes by the skin of your teeth, you're not cheating anyone but yourself.

The first article, "The Hunt for a Good Teacher" made me realize that I need to take an active roll in my own learning.  I need to research and look into professors before I sign up for classes.  I need to ask my friends, my RA's, my advisers, and anyone I can get my hands on about the professors I'm thinking about taking.   I need to drop classes if the teachers aren't teaching.  I can take classes I tested out of to refresh my writing and math skills to prevent getting a bad grade and lowering my GPA.

The second article I read, "Don't Alienate Your Professor",  helped me understand how to present myself an act in classes.  I shouldn't appear to want to head out of every class I'm in.  I shouldn't check the clock constantly and start packing up my bag 5 minutes before the sessions over.  I am lucky to be in the classes I'm in and I should act like it.  I should laugh at the professors jokes, pay attention, and show that I want to be in class.  

I've already learned from my own experience that sitting in the front row really does help.  I learn more.  I understand more.  This plays off the ideas that the second article gave me. 


All in all, these articles helped me consider how I need to act and present myself in college and to my professors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment